Tuesday, May 12, 2015

May 12, 2015

Tomorrow is my 41st birthday. I'm seeing all those crow's feet and age spots and gray hairs. I'm dreaming of the summer I was 22 and was able to wear a bikini with a pierced navel in public.

With these thoughts I created "Fleeting Beauty."


The root system is based on a human spinal column. It is made from couched thread and embroidery.


I used huge pieces of gorgeous hand-dyed fabric from Carol Eaton. This piece really looked like a rose garden to me the moment I saw it. I mixed in some commercial fabrics.


The quote comes from the Rubaiyat, Verse XXVIII.
Oh, come with old Khayyam, and leave the Wise
To talk; one thing is certain, that Life flies; 
One thing is certain, and the Rest is Lies; 
The Flower that once has blown forever dies. 


I really liked the zig zag edges when I had finished piecing the diagonal rows so I decided to try and keep them. I thought facing them would be too difficult. So I sewed the quilt together like a pillowcase and flipped it right side out, pushed out all the corners as best I could, then quilted it.


Yes, I am painting the finished quilt. I thought those white roots needed a little extra strength to show up better, so I went over them with some pearly white Tsukineko ink using a fantastik.

Here's to 41, and another trip around the sun.


2 comments: